Advert

Facebook   RSS   Twitter   deviantArt

Comments :

Potato shaped like a potato 14 minutes ago #9702481

@minando Ketchup is foul and will render anything inedible. Recently I've bought spicy ketchup a couple times and discovered they can actually enhance the flavor of a well prepared (veggie) burger. Some versions of the original condiment from Thailand that evolved into current "ketchup" are nice but that Heinz stuff Muricans eat- no. My eldest was ketchup ignorant until almost 4 when her 18 mo sister spied a red sauce she had to try. Red was her favorite color.

Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 16 minutes ago #9702480

@Dorkymike I'd say that a lot depends on how that free education is done. If it's limited to STEM (something where you can have more or less objective measure of success), discourages studying for test and testing standards are not diluted it will filter out inadequates. Problem is that even if implemented as such, I don't expect it to stay that way for long.

More likely that there will be pressure to achieve correct ratios of racial and gender representation, that will undermine the integrity of testing. In fact, even supposedly meritocratic Soviet higher education had ethnic quotas. Scariest person you can meet is a chemical engineer who writes down silver azide on the list as "silver azide", not AgN3.
And if bullshit studies are on the list of free courses, then you end up subsidizing non-productive activity. On top of that, degree becomes an IQ test of sorts (something that employers in US are effectively prohibited from administering), so just to find decent employment you'll have to study four or five years something you're not going to pursue.

It's interesting that ability to pay could be in fact a proxy to performance ability. Consider the fact that higher iq and determination both correlate with wealth and can be at least in part inherited by children. I'm just guessing and can be wrong here, but in combination with scholarships and GI Bill it could cover significant part of the pool of viable applicants. Main problem with higher education in US is not that it has to be paid for, but that it's price is out of whack and people keep investing in it despite expected ROI getting worse every year.

Dorena

15 O
Topic: Hi? @Wortel here? 24 minutes ago #9702479

@Wortel
I'd need something to comment first...
I can't just go and talk about something completely off topic!!!

Dan

O
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 1 hour ago #9702478

Noscript is working again. Now just waiting on Downthemall.

Dorkymike

34 M

Online Now
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 1 hour ago #9702477

@comrade_Comrade Do you believe that free education has no way of filtering out those whose performance is lower? I see this argument a lot, and it seems a bit bizarre to me. As it stands ability to pay is not a good proxy for performance ability.

BGMan

31 M
A simple man with simple needs 1 hour ago #9702476

Forgot the music:

Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 2 hours ago #9702475

@Dorkymike "I've never heard this said in a serious political conversation"
It usually comes up in arguments between socialists and libertarians. Libertarians have to either argue for social Darwinism or reject biological determinism. Socialists argue for treating the symptom (universal healthcare and guaranteed income), but either have to reject biological determinism or come up with something that would prevent outcome shown in "Idiocracy".
Since arguing for starving stupid people out of population or having a government-run eugenics program looks bad, both sides tend to handwave heritability of IQ and limits to it's development away.

" Either I'm an effing genius, or motivation is an overlooked factor in a whole lot of that. "
I'll refer you to "Big Five personality traits", namely conscientiousness. It's a second best predictor of success in life after IQ, but at least it's less dependent on biology, can shift over time and is subject to influence either by environment or coping strategies. Actually, one of the reasons why some of the best performing soldiers came from dysfunctional families where they had to take responsibility for siblings' well-being early.

"But maybe this comes from growing up in a country with a lot of BAD math teachers, as well as parents who tell their kids to give up on math because it's "hard". When you internalize the logic of this stuff it isn't that hard. So of course we want to motivate people to try being rocket scientists!"
It would be very hard or impossible if you had a poorly developed intraparietal sulcus, for example.
On one hand, parents telling children to give up on math are idiots for one simple reason - you don't know until you try. On other hand, good teachers and lots of prodding can only go so far, and if it's "you can be a rocket scientist if you try" instead of "you can try to be a rocket scientist, but no promises", you set up at least some kids for a bitter defeat. In case of higher education it's even worse - mistake there has a big price tag on it and cuts into some of the most productive years in life.

"Either way that encouragement isn't really what I would call a political fallacy, if nothing else, because I've never seen it in the political sphere."
I've used an abstract example, but if you look at debates around welfare and education, I don't think you'll see any mentions of the fact that there is a limit on how much improvement in education will improve outcomes for everyone. Or that it is possible that current system of higher education provides opportunity for majority of intellectually capable and motivated people, while free higher education may not generate significantly more professionals simply because you don't get too many people left out in relevant part of normal distribution of IQ.

Norrient

21 M
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 2 hours ago #9702474

@Dorkymike
Alright. A mini would be interesting to drive, both the old and new one

Dorkymike

34 M

Online Now
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 2 hours ago #9702473

@Norrient A mini might. Some odd cars do. It's not a question of overall size, but layout. A mini is supposed to have a surprisingly good layout.

Norrient

21 M
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 2 hours ago #9702472

@Dorkymike
Ah yea youve told me about your jetta
Dont think a mini would fit, lol

Dorkymike

34 M

Online Now
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 2 hours ago #9702471

@Norrient Different cars. Audi A series seems to, 911, I drive a VW jetta atm, Jeeps seem to fit. uh Citroens, most Nissans Hondas and Toyotas fit, but maybe not a 350Z. Haven't tried a mini.

Dorkymike

34 M

Online Now
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 2 hours ago #9702470

@plgirlpl 190-193, somewhere in there.

Norrient

21 M
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 2 hours ago #9702469

@Dorkymike
What car fits you best?

plgirlpl

21 F
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 2 hours ago #9702468

@Dorkymike how tall are you?

Norrient

21 M
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 2 hours ago #9702467

@plgirlpl
Youre right, it would dissipate long before reaching you

Dorkymike

34 M

Online Now
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 2 hours ago #9702466

@plgirlpl Yes.

Dorkymike

34 M

Online Now
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 2 hours ago #9702465

@Norrient Eh. My head fits, my legs don't fit under the dashboard.

plgirlpl

21 F
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 2 hours ago #9702464

@Norrient
I won't have the chance. I will be much in front of you ;)

plgirlpl

21 F
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 2 hours ago #9702463

@Dorkymike exactly :stare:

Norrient

21 M
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 2 hours ago #9702462

@Dorkymike
Just install a sunroof

Zeust

676 M
Moderator
Topic: Ace! (Sexuality thread) 2 hours ago #9702461

@Twinklebell Eh sure I'll add you on Skype :)

Norrient

21 M
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 2 hours ago #9702460

@plgirlpl
1v1 m8 u'll eat my smoke

Dorkymike

34 M

Online Now
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 2 hours ago #9702459

@Norrient I fit into a bug better than a fiat.

Norrient

21 M
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 2 hours ago #9702458

@Dorkymike
Know what this reminds me of?

image
"Ha ha" :XD:

Although the car isnt mine:b

plgirlpl

21 F
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 2 hours ago #9702457

@Norrient
Let's do the drag race in our amazing vehicles :stare:

Dorkymike

34 M

Online Now
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 2 hours ago #9702456

@plgirlpl you're the one who says I don't!

plgirlpl

21 F
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 3 hours ago #9702455

@Dorkymike
Ye ye ye :stare: if you really do so :stare:

Dorkymike

34 M

Online Now
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 3 hours ago #9702454

@plgirlpl Driving at the speed limit 99% of the time is not speeding.

Dorkymike

34 M

Online Now
Topic: What's On Your Mind #144 3 hours ago #9702453

@Norrient that's ok, I'd drive a fiat too but im too tall.

plgirlpl